“Be Bold. Take Risks.
Nothing Can Substitute Experience” Paulo Coelho
Are you living your life or just going through the motions of day to day existing?
When was the last time you treated yourself to a new experience or explored a new area or path when out for a walk?
I get it, I really do, we have to earn the money to keep a roof over our head, food on the table and clothes on our back but life should be so much more than that.
When I look back over my life I spent far too many years just existing, feeling very unhappy and wondering what was the point.
Then I woke up, thanks to a broken jaw and all the stuff that went with it.
What does it matter what others think about you (and most of the time they aren’t), this is your life and you should live it and experience it in a way that makes you happy and fulfilled.
So, forget about a bucket list and create for yourself a Live Life List, a list of experiences you would like to have, places you would like to go, things you would like to see.
I have for a long time had thoughts about things I would like to do and then sometimes I hear or see something and think wow, would love that.
Over the last 20 years I have treated myself to or been treated to many different life experiences, here are some of them (and if I can do it, so can you).
- Flown a helicopter
- Abseiled off the Water Tower in Poole
- Been a Trainee Wolf Handler with the Wolves at the UK Wolf Conservation Trust
- Experienced a Zipwire ride in Bournemouth
- Thrown a Pot (they came out really well)
- Climbed the 3 Highest Peaks in the UK (Scarfel Pike in England, Snowdon in Wales & Ben Nevis in Scotland)
- Went to Egypt (on my own) to Swim with Wild Dolphins
- Went snorkelling in the Red Sea
- On another trip to Egypt, I took myself off to Giza to see the Sphinx & Pyramids. We also Rode a Camel & went Star Gazing in the Dessert.
- Ridden a Quad Bike
- I was on the Weakest Link
- Spent 2 weeks in Romania with the Carpathian Large Carnivore Project Tracking Wolves & Lynx (no killing involved)
- Been a Messenger Speaker at 2 Messenger Summits in the USA
- Paddled in the Pacific Ocean
- Organised a 3-week Trip to America to spend time with the Nez Perce Indians learning about their culture and history and time in Yellowstone Park for a small group including 2 young adults with learning difficulties (amazing)
- Retrained from working in Insurance to become a Complementary Health Therapist
- Became a Shared Carer/Befriender for Adults with Learning Disabilities
- Organised 3 Sponsored Walks for Adults with learning and/or physical difficulties (including 2 with Wolves)
- Was a Volunteer Business Partner with a Young Enterprise Company
- And this year for my 60th I am going to do a Wing Walk
“Life Has So Much To Offer, You Don’t Need To Open Your Pockets, Just open Your Mind”
Shared by The Quote Today on Twitter
Every experience you allow yourself to have, brings you closer to you, to who you are.
Explore who you are, what makes you laugh, what brings fun and enjoyment, what scares you a little, what fulfils you, what helps you to feel alive.
Treat yourself or let someone else treat you and don’t wait for tomorrow, start that list today and start ticking them off. Add to it.
They don’t all have to be big things, expensive things, they could be as simple as paddling in a stream, rowing across a lake, a Boxing Day dip in the Sea (I’ve done that as well).
Start that course, book that massage, start that book you have always wanted to write, take riding lessons or try a flying lesson – feel the fear and do it anyway.
Just for fun, look back at your life and make a list of all the things you have done, the places you have been, both small and big things.
Let your memories of how you felt spur you on to more treats and exploration.
Life is a gift, our world is here for us to explore, open the package and treat yourself to the life you want.
“Everything Seemed Possible, When I Looked Through The Eyes Of A Child.
And Every Once In A While, I Remember, I Still Have The Chance To Be Wild”
Copyright © Sara Jane 2018